The Moon Milk Mystery
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Moon milk has been making splashes on social media in the twilight hours. Many people use it as a way to wind down their day. The trend has increased because people have been able to use this to promote better sleep on busy days. How about a mug of moon milk?
What is Moon Milk
Moon milk is a warm drink for night use derived from Ayuverdic (a system of natural healing) traditions. Most often it is made from a mixture of honey, cinnamon, and milk. Today more and more recipes promote the use of plant-based versions. The combination of herbs and spices may be helpful as sleep aids.
Bon Appétit recipe
- 1 cup whole milk or unsweetened nut milk (such as hemp, almond, or cashew)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ashwagandha (or another adaptogen, like Shatavari or astralagus)
- 2 pinches of ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground ginger (optional)
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon honey, preferably raw
Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in cinnamon, turmeric, ashwagandha, cardamom, ginger, if using, and nutmeg; season with pepper. Whisk vigorously to incorporate any clumps. Add coconut oil, reduce heat to low, and continue to cook until warmed through, 5–10 minutes (the longer you go, the stronger the medicine). Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in honey (you want to avoid cooking honey or you’ll destroy its healing goodness). Pour into a mug, drink warm, and climb right into bed.
Author Kat Odell has a book called Unicorn Food that has other recipes that will help you find the right blend. Also, check Instagram and blogs for combinations. Try this and let me know how it works with you!
Latest posts by mmiele (see all)
- Manage Time to Exercise - January 14, 2022
- 2022 - January 7, 2022
- Coach Mike’s January 2022 Health and Fitness Newsletter is avaiable - January 4, 2022