We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Apricots are like a great blend of both plum and peach. You get the sweetness and the tartness with this fantastic fruit that is only 17 calories. The apricot is full of beta-carotene, and fiber packs a punch of antioxidants in each bite.
Ways to Eat Apricots
Fresh – Grab and go!
Choose apricots that are both firm and plump. They are a pretty yellow/orange/red color. Allow them to ripen at room temperature, and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in a closed container. To ripen, put them in a brown paper bag and keep the bag closed and away from light.
Rinse under running water and pat them dry.
Dried – Dried Apricots by Martha Stewart
10 to 11 apricots, pits removed, halved or quartered, and 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
- Heat oven to 225 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper (or a Silpat baking mat if you’re drying figs). Arrange fruit, cut sides up, spaced 1/2 to 1 inch apart, on a pan. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over fruit; depending on the fruit’s tartness, add more sugar.
- Transfer pan to oven; dry until the fruit has withered, edges have dried, and centers are still juicy; timing will vary according to the variety of fruit, ripeness, and size, 1 1/2 to 4 hours. If juices start to run, baste with juices every hour. Transfer pan to a cooling rack; remove from pan while still warm.
Poached – Poaching Apricots
- Clean your apricots and cut them into halves.
- Remove the pits but be sure not to peel the apricots.
- Place the apricots into a medium saucepan and cover them with water.
- Poach the apricots for about 8 min. or until very tender.
- Remove the apricots from the poaching liquid and serve them warm.
Use apricots in cakes, crumbles, pancakes, donuts, glazes, and salads.
What are you going to do with your apricots?
Latest posts by mmiele (see all)
- Manage Time to Exercise - January 14, 2022
- 2022 - January 7, 2022
- Coach Mike’s January 2022 Health and Fitness Newsletter is avaiable - January 4, 2022