30-Minute Leftover Sweet Potato & Turkey Enchilada Skillet
You know when you have all of those leftovers hanging around your fridge that you’ll probably want to get rid of ASAP. This easy 30-minute enchilada skillet dinner is packed with shredded turkey, roasted sweet potato, homemade enchilada sauce, corn tortillas and a little cheese!
- 1 batch of homemade enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup leftover mashed sweet potato (from 2 small or medium sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups shredded cooked leftover turkey or chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 6 yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup 2% Mexican shredded cheese, divided
- Cilantro, green onions and greek yogurt/sour cream, for serving
First make the enchilada sauce, then set aside to cool. If you don't want to make homemade enchilada sauce you can use 2 cups store bought enchilada sauce.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet.
Add onions and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant.
Add turkey and spoonfuls of mashed sweet potato and stir together to combine.
Next add the corn tortilla pieces and all of the enchilada sauce; stir to combine.
Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir again and simmer for a few minutes. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of cheese over the top and cover for 5 minutes to help melt the cheese.
Serve with cilantro, green onions or sour cream/greek yogurt.
Want to lightened up this recipe a little bit more? Use only 1/2 cup of cheese instead of 1 cup.
To make vegetarian: Use black beans instead of turkey.
To make vegan: Skip the cheese or use a vegan cheese. Skip the turkey and use black beans instead.
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Latest posts by mmiele (see all)
- Manage Time to Exercise - January 14, 2022
- 2022 - January 7, 2022
- Coach Mike’s January 2022 Health and Fitness Newsletter is avaiable - January 4, 2022