Fruity Whole Grain Breakfast Porridge
Basic oatmeal gets a bold makeover in this sweet, spiced breakfast porridge. Steel cut oats are slow-cooked overnight along with other hearty whole grains, dried cranberries, and apricots. We used wild rice and barley in our recipe, but once you get the hang of it, you can add similar portions of other grains you have in your pantry, like farro, buckwheat, and kamut. A slice of orange peel and a cinnamon stick make it taste, and smell, like a special breakfast treat. The best part is, this porridge is ready to eat when you wake up.
- ¾ cup dry steel cut oats
- ½ cup dry wild rice
- ¾ cup dry pearl barley (or dry farro)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2-inch slice dry orange peel
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey (or pure maple syrup)
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ cup chopped dried apricots (or dried cherries, dried apples, or raisins)
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts (or almonds, pecans, or cashews)
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
Place oats, wild rice, barley, cinnamon stick, orange peel, honey, salt, apricots, cranberries, and water in a 3-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low temperature for 7 to 9 hours, stirring once or twice (if you are up).
Before serving, mix well. Serve each portion topped with 2 Tbsp. walnuts and ½ cup almond milk.
Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to remove just the outer part of the orange peel, avoiding the white pith which can be bitter.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 12 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 240 mg
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugars: 9 g
Protein: 9 g
1 Grain Carb
Body Beast Portions
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Latest posts by mmiele (see all)
- Manage Time to Exercise - January 14, 2022
- 2022 - January 7, 2022
- Coach Mike’s January 2022 Health and Fitness Newsletter is avaiable - January 4, 2022