Rainbow Lentil Bowls
These gorgeous bowls of brightly-colored vegetables make a summer meal that’s as nice to look at as it is to eat. This recipe is called Rainbow Lentil Bowl because so many colors are represented in its combination of cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers, green lentils, mixed greens, and red cabbage. Top it with cheddar cheese and a pico de gallo salsa for a Southwestern twist!
This bowl is a nutritional powerhouse. The colorful veggies provide an array of phytonutrients and fiber-rich, filling lentils bring the protein to a whopping 13 grams per serving. You can find pre-cooked lentils in the produce section of many supermarkets, or buy them canned, but it’s much cheaper to cook your own lentils and it takes less than 30 minutes.
This recipe yields four hearty servings and keeps well in the fridge, so it’s a great recipe for a family dinner, for your next potluck, or to try in your next meal prep.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 cup pico de gallo (or fresh tomato salsa)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown (or green) lentils
- 1 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry (or grape) tomatoes
Evenly divide salad greens and cabbage between four serving bowls.
Place pico de gallo, cheese, lentils, orange bell pepper, green bell pepper, and tomatoes on top of salad greens in “stripes”.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 705 mg
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Fiber: 12 g
Sugars: 10 g
Protein: 13 g
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Latest posts by mmiele (see all)
- Manage Time to Exercise - January 14, 2022
- 2022 - January 7, 2022
- Coach Mike’s January 2022 Health and Fitness Newsletter is avaiable - January 4, 2022